No Fly Travel Club
We curate sustainable RAIL trips for adventurous souls.
We know we need to fly less, but we don’t believe that should mean giving up travel.
In fact, we see travel as a force for good. That’s why we’re curating sustainable trips that leave you with incredible memories – without costing the earth.
No Fly Travel Club is the product of years of industry experience in both community-based sustainable tourism and rail holidays in Europe. We are building our business organically, with sustainability and ethics in mind at every step – from our finances to how we run our office. Our travel community includes both travellers and those in our destinations – and it is at the heart of what we do.
WHY GO BY TRAIN?
We know the way we explore the world right now isn’t sustainable. We also know what makes an incredible travel experience. Often it’s the things that you didn’t see coming – the sunset from your train window, or the spontaneous bottle of wine shared with new friends. It’s not always perfect, but it’s the way memories get made.
Travelling by train is the best alternative to flying that we currently have available. For example, travelling by Eurostar produces 90% less Co2 emissions than flying from London to Paris.
Stations are generally located in city centres, saving you travel time and reducing vehicle travel to and from airports.
It’s also romantic, atmospheric and relaxing – not just a means of transport, but part of an immersive travel experience.
We are committed to being a sustainable travel company, and as a result it is our mission to make rail holidays a really exciting alternative to flying. You can read more about our sustainability manifesto here.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM YOUR TRIPS?
With years of industry experience and contacts, we’ve toasted homemade moonshine in markets and sipped cocktails on secret rooftops. We’ve slept in luxury beds with city views – and shared creaky Bulgarian train cabins with strangers. We’ve explored remote snowy peaks on foot, stared up at desert stars on a clear night, bumbled between vineyards on e-bikes, discovered secret bars after one too many glasses of wine and met the people who make it all happen. We also know how the industry can work, and how sometimes its real impact can be hidden beneath glossy marketing.
After all this, we think we’ve cracked what makes an extraordinary and truly sustainable travel experience. All trips include overland travel, comfortable independent accommodation and locally sourced activities. When you travel with us we combine a blend of luxurious treats, rustic charm, conscious learning opportunities and personal contacts.
While we recognise that the journey is not straightforward, we are guided by the three pillars of sustainable travel (Economic, Social and Environmental impact) in how we create our trips. This means we minimise our environmental impact, and maximise social and economic investment in our destinations. We also hope to go beyond this, and to create meaningful connections between people and places that positively impact the wellbeing of everyone involved.
More questions? Just get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or using the chat function on the website.
WHAT ABOUT COVID-19?
Covid-19 has affected every aspect of the travel industry, from booking conditions to operations. Ultimately we don’t know what the future holds, but we hope that before long we will be able to start travelling more normally again. There are several ways our trips are well suited towards the post-covid era:
- Our trips are self guided, meaning you won’t stay in accommodation or share private vehicles with large groups of people.
- We focus on private and small group activities, many of which involve outdoor activities, for example city tours or visiting local producers. Activities can be adapted depending on Covid regulations, for example we can make an activity private, ensure you can sit outside where necessary etc.
- We don’t use any flights in our trips. You will travel by train, ferry, bus or occasionally taxi. In each case, providers must comply with Covid safety regulations at a national and local level. We monitor the level of public transport use across Europe and proactively ask for feedback about feelings of safety and comfort on board.
- Our flexible booking conditions allow you to reschedule your trip if necessary up to two weeks before travel.
- We are small and personal – we are more than happy to talk through any concerns you might have in booking a trip. Just email email@example.com, or use the online chat function to talk with us.
WHY ARE YOU A MEMBERSHIP CLUB?
Because of our commitment to sustainable travel, we try to work directly with local suppliers wherever possible to ensure that they receive as much economic and social benefit as possible.
This way of working means that the number of passengers who can travel at any one time is limited to the number of spaces our suppliers have available.
A membership structure helps us to manage this in three ways:
- We are able to see how many people each year are interested in booking a trip. This helps us to understand the level of demand we have to serve, and work with suppliers accordingly.
- We are able to manage demand by offering priority booking to our members, those who are interested in our vision.
- Travel is a seasonal business. While we aim to encourage off-peak travel where possible, we appreciate many people are restricted to certain times, or prefer to travel during summer. Being a membership organisation helps us to sustain ourselves and our suppliers through quieter times of years, while also offering additional perks and benefits to our loyal supporters.
Catherine – Founder
I’m Catherine, the founder of No Fly Travel Club. By chance I fell into the travel industry as a bright eyed graduate and it was love at first job.
I spent a long time in rail travel, helping to build the UK’s best-loved student rail tour operator, before going on to work in sustainable tourism for a sector-leading operator. I initially worked directly with customers, before going on to design local impact experiences for travel companies and DMCs. My work has given me the privilege of travelling over the world – my passion for sustainability and rail often leading me to do so overland.
In 2020 the industry stopped. During this time, many of us slowed down and addressed in a real sense the impending climate crisis. My contribution seemed obvious, so I launched No Fly Travel Club. I hope you’ll join us!
Anne – Sustainability & Operations Advisor
Anne Von Osterhausen – Anne has over 15 years’ experience in the travel industry, specialising in business strategy, sustainable tourism operations and regenerative business practises. She establishes partnerships with suppliers, creates policies and sets targets, as well as ensuring we are staying accountable to our promises.
Helping us on this journey are a number of partners who provide expertise, guidance and support, including:
- Our local partners – working directly with our local partners ensures that the perspective of our destinations is heard. Our partners connect us with suppliers who share our values, or work with us themselves to create the best experiences for you.
- How Virtual Tours can Educate TravellersThe pandemic has forced much change in how we do things, and the travel industry has been no exception. Travel came to […]
- What is responsible travel, really?What makes an eco-friendly holiday? So, you’d like to choose more sustainable holidays. You know a bit about eco-tourism, and responsible travel… […]
- Biodiversity and Sustainable TourismWe know that cutting carbon is a huge part of our obligation to live more sustainably, but carbon reduction is only half […]